Monday 5 July 2010

A sickie

I wander the winding streets and hills
The longest route
Every second of the estuary breeze
A moment to adore

Destination platform
What a bore
I peer over the wall
To see canines galloping
Mouths agape
Tongues flapping
Seagulls tread cautiously back
If you listen hard
Water trickles in to the newly vacated mud flats

My Train pulls in
The 8:08
I let it pass
Like a school girl ditchin' class
I check to see who's watching

Oh but that pebbled shore too much to ignore
Paled brown strangely reassuring
I find myself at the tides edge
Waves ebb in licking my feet
Another train another deadline, dead
Time now distant
In awe of the comfort this scene can give

The sound of laughter fills the salty air
A family of smiles sets out blankets
Ice cold flasks
Their little mongrel chasing seagulls
Off they fly and caw in knowing the silence wouldn't last

The sun grows hotter
Deep breaths circling the pleasure
in the banality
Why would anyone want more than this?

I reluctantly rise
Knowing I am less surrounded in dreams
more... responsibility
But the little mongrel licks my hand
And it is confirmed
Today, this is the place I should be

No comments:

Post a Comment